Health insurance eligibility depends on the benefits arrangement you have with your insurance provider. To confirm your company's eligibility, log in to your carrier's employer portal or call them.
Who is eligible for Health benefits?
- Full-Time employees: Employees who work 30 hours or more in a week are always eligible for health benefits.
- Part-Time employees:
- Employees who work between 20 and 29 hours in a week may be eligible for health benefits, depending on how the company defined eligibility while setting up benefits with the insurance carrier.
- Employees who work less than 20 hours in a week are never eligible for health benefits. This is based on the rules set by the insurance carriers, not the company's decision.
- Variable employees: Employees with unpredictable working hours fall into this category. Employers can't determine if these employees will work an average of 30 hours per week during the initial measurement period.
- Seasonal employees: Employees hired for a duration of 6 months or less, do not qualify for benefits managed by Niural.
What happens to health benefits if an employee is dismissed?
If Niural manages your benefits, remember that when you dismiss an employee, their health benefits will also end. So, keep the employee active if they are not actually dismissed.
Dismiss an employee when you don't anticipate them coming back to work. However, if someone is taking a temporary leave and is expected to return, furlough or place them on a leave of absence.